Application for Program Services
Application for Program Services
Name of Applicant
Name of Venture/Business
District of Columbia
Primary Phone Number
Hispanic or Latino
Black or African American
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
American Indian or Alaska Native
Industry Categorization (choose from dropdown menu from following)
Agriculture & Agribusiness
Apparel & Accessories
Beauty & Cosmetics
Entertainment & Recreation
Food & Beverage
Media & Broadcasting
Medical Devices & Supplies
Motion Pictures & Video
If other, please specify
Other Entrepreneurial Activity (please check all that apply, past & present)
Mission Center L3C
St. Louis Makes
UMSL-ITE (Innovative Technology Enterprises)
Who is the team?
What is everyone's role in the Venture/Business?
E-mail address (Please list the best email address for us to reach you.)
How did you hear about GatewayVMS?
Have you formed as a legal business entity? If so, what is your status?
1. To help us best serve you, please answer a few questions about your venture/business. What is your business? Please provide a description using complete sentences:
2. What is the problem you are solving?
Example: The amount of junk mail in everyone's email inbox is growing despite attempts to fight it. You can't be sure who sent you the mail. In addition to wasting time and being annoying, this poses threats to security, spreads viruses and clogs up networks.
3. Who has this problem?
Example: This is costly for everyone in the chain: end users, IT departments and ISPs.
4. How will you solve the problem? - In a few sentences and in completely NON-TECHNICAL terms, please describe how you expect to solve it:
Example: We have software that guarantees that the sender is who they claim. This can be implemented at ISPs and enterprises, allowing the entire chain to validate every email's origin and discard invalid messages before they travel further.
5. How will you make money? In a few sentences, describe who will use it, who will pay you and how you envision selling to them. You do not need to provide in-depth financial details.
Example: We will sell our software and services directly to the ISPs, web mail providers like Google and Microsoft, and F1000 companies through direct sales. We will provide a free add-on for email clients like Outlook so end users can easily adopt it.
6. If applicable, is your company profitable or what was your profit for last year?
7. If applicable, where did your organization’s funding/capital come from and how did you go about getting it? How did you obtain investors for your venture/business?
8. How many hours a week do you devote to your venture/business? Describe/outline your typical day?
9. What is unique about your business? In a few sentences, describe what is special about your solution and product:
Example: Breakthrough identification algorithm that can be inserted into the backbone system at a switch level. Based on cutting-edge research developed under government grants by the founders.
10. Is there IP (Intellectual Property)? In a few sentences describe the IP status.
Example: Have exclusive license to patents for the underlying technologies as well as further company-owned IP.
11. What is your current status? Please check one:
Ready to launch
Ready to Scale
12. What area(s) of Mentoring do you think your venture/business needs? (please check all that apply)
Business Development and Growth
Cash Flow Management
IP (Intellectual Property) Strategy
13. Where do you see yourself and your business in 5-10 years?
Additional Comments: If there is anything else we should know about your venture/business, please let us know here.